This self-guided adventure is a true classic of local cycling that every in-the-know local (and cool traveler) should experience. Known fondly by cyclists as the “butter lap” because the ride is so smooth, this is perhaps the greatest way to experience all of San Francisco in a day. Why? This grand loop highlights all of SF’s most beloved local neighborhoods, parks, beaches, waterfronts, and essential landmarks from the absolute best viewpoints. This includes an in-depth exploration of the Golden Gate Bridge, lush views of Alcatraz, a full ride through Golden Gate Park, and so much more.
- 14 hip, historical local neighborhoods: SoMa, Potrero Hill, Mission District, Castro, Duboce Triangle, Lower Haight, Alamo Square, Haight Ashbury, Richmond District, the Presidio, the Marina, Fisherman’s Wharf, North Beach, and the Embarcadero.
- 8 awesome parks & beaches: Golden Gate Park, Ocean Beach, Baker Beach, the Presidio, Crissy Field, the Marina Green, Great Meadow Park at Ft. Mason, and Aquatic Park.
- The best Golden Gate Bridge views and a ride on the “Bridge of Bridges”
- A full-length exploration of Golden Gate Park, including a lunch picnic at the Conservatory of Flowers
- Optional food and drink stops: Dandelion Chocolate, Tartine Manufactory, Bi-Rite, Haight Street Market, Park Chalet, Dynamo Donuts & Coffee, and Ft. Point Beer Co.
- Tons of incredible photo opportunities
- So much more!
Our GPS self-guided tours allow you to get lost in the moment, instead of on wrong turns! Using a specially developed APP built on Google Maps, you get turn-by-turn directions with spoken word cues. The cool app is really easy and intuitive, providing an elevated experience, and lives up to our highest quality standards. Works like a dream!
How do I get this app? 2 days before the tour, you are sent full instructions on downloading the APP and map, along with a brief video tutorial on how it works. Of course, if you’d rather, we can help you download and get all set up when you arrive at our shop.
What else do I need to know? The iOS and Android compatible app doesn’t use phone data only GPS. Also, as a fail-safe, we do send along a detailed printed map, along with a curated booklet of recommendations for scenic stops, food, and historical photos to bring things to life. Your bike has a rock-solid phone cradle and a rechargeable battery + cable so you can keep your device topped up.
- Custom-built electric bike for easy pedaling – ride the best!
- GPS-map with turn-by-turn directions so you can focus on the adventure and not miss a thing along the way.
- A collection of historical photos, historical insights, and cool suggestions for places to stop, explore, and eat along the route.
- Tons of authentic local tips and advice on things to do before and after the tour. Pure gold!
- Lunch – Stop at SF’s best sandwich or dim sum spots. Vegan, vegetarian, and gluten-free options are available.
- Drinks – snack stops will include an opportunity to pick up great coffee, tea, or another delicious beverage. Treat yourself!
- Gratuities – consider tipping your guide for great service so they can make rent. 🙂
We characterize this tour as moderate. Physically this ride is easy.
Moderate = you should be confident and comfortable riding a bike with good balance and bike handling skills. Don’t worry, our bikes are easy to ride and we give you plenty of time to get comfortable before departing.
Notes about this tour and why it’s moderate: the ride requires that you navigate several hills, some of which are steep. Our bikes are well suited and safe for this terrain. The ride also follows quiet back roads and official bike routes the entire time, but you will have to share the road with cars at times.
Safety: We take safety seriously. There is an extensive pre-ride safety briefing and we provide the best quality helmets. See our safety page for more detailed information.
Questions: If you have any questions about the difficulty of this tour or if it’s right for you, please contact us, we’re happy to help!
PS If you’ve never ridden an electric bike or it’s been a while since you’ve biked we recommend a spin on SF’s electric bike share. It’s also a fun way to get to our shop!
Click to go full screen ⬇︎
Elevation Profile (click to expand)
Here, you’ll receive an overview of the route and a safety briefing, get fitted to the bikes, and go on a test ride. Once you’re comfortable, you’ll be ready for your adventure.
Ride some of the city's newest bike lanes through the epicenter of the world's tech culture into the Potrero Hill’s Design District and on to the Mission District.
Ride through the city’s most culturally significant neighborhood, with a stop at SF’s finest chocolatier for an unlimited free chocolate tasting. Explore SF’s grandest mural before riding out into the heart of the Castro, the world’s most significant LGBT neighborhood and a wellspring of SF culture. See the original rainbow flag, the Castro Theater, and SF’s historic streetcars
Cross Market Street into the tranquil Duboce Triangle neighborhood, then pick up the famous Wiggle bike route to the Panhandle, the start of Golden Gate Park.
Explore the most famous neighborhood of the 1960s, home to SF’s quirkiest shops, Victorian Architecture, and neo-hippies. Pick up lunch at Haight’s local market before rolling to Golden Gate Park for a picnic.
Relax and soak in the glory of SF as you stop for a picnic lunch the Conservatory of Flowers. Then go on a full exploration of the entire park!Discover SF’s major museums, oldest building, a towering waterfall, buffalo, and a Dutch windmill before reaching Ocean Beach and the mighty Pacific.
Enjoy the sea breeze from SF’s most expansive beach as you check out the views and history of the Cliff House, the Sutro Bath Ruins, and the Land End Visitor’s center. Then, zoom up to the majestic Legion of Honor to see a sprawling panorama of San Francisco, including a cypress-dappled view of the Golden Gate Bridge.
Roll down to SF’s most beautiful beach with striking views of the Golden Gate Bridge, the mighty Pacific, and the Marin Headlands. Climb up to a pathway right to the Bridge. Learn the Bridge’s history, ride the length of the Bridge, and take in all of the best views.
Ride the tranquil bay-front pathways along Crissy Field and the Marina green, past the kite surfers, and grab one of SF’s best gourmet donuts and a coffee. Explore the Legion of Honor, the last remaining building of the 1915 World’s Fair. Ride through polished Marina neighborhoods to Ft. Mason.
Roll into Aquatic Park with close-up views of Alcatraz and Ghirardelli Square. See SF’s historic cable and street cars as you cruise past the tourist hustle to the beautiful Embarcadero to the iconic Ferry Building.
See SF’s coolest waterfront art piece before riding out to the end of the pier for a sweeping panoramic view of SF’s downtown, the Bay Bridge, and Treasure Island. Then, ride SF’s newest bike highway through the towering SoMa neighborhood back to the shop.
Get a Question?
Get a Question 2?
Explore SF’s best views & outdoors by bike
- Ride the Golden Gate Bridge
- Discover 11 cool local neighborhoods
- Explore 8 awesome parks & beaches
- SF’s most spectacular 360° viewpoints
- Golden Gate Park and the Presidio
- A picnic at SF’s most beautiful beach
The most exciting way to spend a few hours!
- 5 hip local neighborhoods
- Ride SF’s true windiest street
- Snacks at SF’s best outdoor food park
- 360° panoramic city and Bay views
- SF’s only houseboat community
- SF’s best waterfront art, stadiums, and piers