This experience is currently paused due to Covid-19
This one-of-a-kind adventure explores the SF Bay Area’s greatest hidden gem, Angel Island (aka “the Ellis Island of the West”). Steeped in incredibly important history as both an immigration station and military base, the island is full of surprises and features the absolute best panoramic views of San Francisco.
Angel Island is in every way a more local, authentic, and epic experience than a visit to Alcatraz with the added bonus of being free of crowds and cars. This self-guided electric bike tour brings together years of knowledge from biking and exploring every inch of this island for a truly magical, in-the-know adventure.
- Incredible island route featuring a collection of the absolute best photo ops, history, viewpoints, and snack stops.
- The landmark, brilliantly-curated Immigration Station, “the Ellis Island of the West”
- Full exploration of the ruins of the old military base, bunkers, and batteries
- Pristine beaches with incredible views of SF, Alcatraz, and Sausalito
- A complete, blissful loop around the 6-mile car-free ring road
- Some of the most captivating and unique panoramic views in the whole Bay Area
- A gorgeous 2-way ferry ride along the bay (tickets not included)
- Optional hike up Mt. Livermore, the single greatest viewpoint in the whole Bay Area
- So much more!
Our GPS self-guided tours allow you to get lost in the moment, instead of on wrong turns! Using a specially developed APP built on Google Maps, you get turn-by-turn directions with spoken word cues. The cool app is really easy and intuitive, providing an elevated experience, and lives up to our highest quality standards. Works like a dream!
How do I get this app? 2 days before the tour, you are sent full instructions on downloading the APP and map, along with a brief video tutorial on how it works. Of course, if you’d rather, we can help you download and get all set up when you arrive at our shop.
What else do I need to know? The iOS and Android compatible app doesn’t use phone data only GPS. Also, as a fail-safe, we do send along a detailed printed map, along with a curated booklet of recommendations for scenic stops, food, and historical photos to bring things to life. Your bike has a rock-solid phone cradle and a rechargeable battery + cable so you can keep your device topped up.
- Custom-built electric bike for easy pedaling – ride the best!
- GPS-map with turn-by-turn directions so you can focus on the adventure and not miss a thing along the way.
- A collection of historical photos, historical insights, and cool suggestions for places to stop, explore, and eat along the route.
- Tons of authentic local tips and advice on things to do before and after the tour. Pure gold!
- Ferry tickets – Add as an option at checkout (recommended for most seamless experience) or purchase at ferry terminal.
- Lunch – Stop at SF’s best sandwich or dim sum spots. Vegan, vegetarian, and gluten-free options are available.
- Drinks – snack stops will include an opportunity to pick up great coffee, tea, or another delicious beverage. Treat yourself!
- Gratuities – consider tipping your guide for great service so they can make rent. 🙂
We characterize this tour as moderate. Physically the ride is easy.
Moderate = you should be confident and comfortable riding a bike. Electric bikes are heavier than normal bikes and require good balance and bike handling skills. Our bikes are easy to ride and we give you plenty of time to practice before departing.
Why this tour is moderate: the ride requires that you navigate several hills, some of which are steep. This tour also has brief stretches of trail riding on the island. Our bikes are well suited and safe for this terrain.
Safety: We take safety seriously. There is an extensive pre-ride safety briefing and we provide the best quality helmets. Additionally, Angel Island has no cars and tons of space. For this reason, it’s one of the safest places to ride a bike we know of. See our safety page for more detailed information.
Questions: If you have any questions about the difficulty of this tour or if it’s right for you, please contact us, we’re happy to help!
PS If you’ve never ridden an electric bike or it’s been a while since you’ve biked we recommend a spin on SF’s electric bike share. It’s also a fun way to get t our shop!
Arrival and setup
Ride to ferry terminal - Pier 39
Ferry Ride to Ayala Cove on Angel Island
Ferry Stop to Immigration Station
Ride from Immigration Station to Fort McDowel
Explore Quarry Beach
Panoramic Ride to Battery Drew
Explore Camp Reynolds
Ride back to the Ferry Terminal
Waterfront Ride Back to shop
Click to go full screen ⬇︎
Elevation Profile (click to expand)
See all of SF by bike!
- 14 hip and historic local neighborhoods
- 8 awesome SF parks and beaches
- Ride the Golden Gate Bridge
- All of Golden Gate Park
- Victorian architecture and iconic landmarks
- Great food and drink stops
Explore SF’s best views & outdoors by bike
- Ride the Golden Gate Bridge
- Discover 11 cool local neighborhoods
- Explore 8 awesome parks & beaches
- SF’s most spectacular 360° viewpoints
- Golden Gate Park and the Presidio
- A picnic at SF’s most beautiful beach